Secret Pens Feedback Forum

Top> GENERAL> Contributor Resources> Making Your Page "Search Results Friendly"

By Kaas Baichtal on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 11:42 pm: Edit Post

Now that the Secret Pens has a search engine, it behooves the individual contributors to pretty up their sites so that they look good in the search results. This will not only make the results cleaner and easier to read for all, but may slightly increase the chances of your story/artwork being the one the person clicks ;-)

To make sure your listing will make sense to people in the results, you need to do two things to the HTML of your story/artwork/whatever.

1) TITLE. In the HTML of your page, there is a section near the top (somewhere between <HEAD> and </HEAD>) that looks something like: <TITLE>Your Title Here</TITLE>. If there isn't, you should add it. Anywhere is OK, as long as it is between <HEAD> and </HEAD> and isn't smack in the middle of some other other line. Heh. This title is the first thing people will see when they look at the search results, because it's in bold and it's the link to your page. So make it concise and informative.

2) DESCRIPTION: Also between your <HEAD> and </HEAD> (directly before or after your title is a nice place) you need something that says <META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="This is my website. It contains some lines of code, personal anecdotes, and my HTML mistakes.">. Replace the "This is my website" part with something that briefly, tastefully and accurately describes your page. This will be the text underneath the link in the search results. If you have not put in a META description, the search engine will use the first few lines of text on your page, and believe me, the results of this can be mighty weird.

I will be re-indexing the search engine each time something new is added to the Pens, and before the announcement goes out. So any changes you make will become evident in the search engine at the next re-indexing.

BTW these 2 things are true for many of the big public search engines, not just the Pens' little one, so it's a very good thing to get them taken care of in any case.

By Jocelyn on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 11:50 am: Edit Post

Oops! Me go fix.

By the way, Kaas, thanks for the heads up on the tags and especially thanks for the new search engine!

:0)

By Kaas Baichtal on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 12:21 pm: Edit Post

A lot of mine need to be done too. :-P About the only ones that are always perfect are the gamelogs because the game logs search engine depends upon those utterly.

By Jocelyn on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 3:42 pm: Edit Post

I am happy to report that I have made the necessary updates to my posted pages.

I even fixed some goofs that I hadn't realized were in the text. Hee, hee, hee, mental set is a terrible thing it allows you to see what you believe is there and not what actually is there. Went back and read some or my posted poetry and there sits a glaring error in There is No Need. This made me go back and check other stuff. I'm still going through the rest. I did make some structural changes to Breakfast that make it more reader friendly. Ann Marie never did tell me if she got any complaints. LOL!!

Ah, well, you live, you learn.     80)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: